The North Carolina Outer Banks are the premier vacation spot all year round, with a unique charm in the winter. During the winter you can enjoy mild weather, gorgeous natural scenery, and endless fun things to do in the Outer Banks. The Outer Banks are a true winter wonderland, but without the piles of snow and below-zero weather.
The team at Atlantic Realty is proud to call the Outer Banks home and offer guests a luxurious selection of oceanfront vacation rentals with plush amenities and guest perks. With theater rooms, private pools, Fun ‘N Sun Perk Passes, and pet-friendly options, you will have the best vacation ever in the Outer Banks this winter. Atlantic Realty has a team of local experts that are committed to offering guests superior customer service. That’s why we created this guide on the adventures you can find in the Outer Banks during the winter season.
9 Fun Things To Do in the Outer Banks in Winter
- At the Elizabethan Gardens, you can step into the time period when the first English Colony settled in North America. One of the most glorious Outer Banks traditions in winter is decorating the Elizabethan Gardens with stunning lights and holiday cheer.
- This winter in the Outer Banks, you can enjoy live music, holiday shopping, an elf scavenger hunt, and meet Santa at the Yuletide Celebration.
- Enjoy the annual holiday celebration at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. Explore the exhibits, a model Winter Wonderland train display, and live entertainment this winter in the Outer Banks.
- You can still enjoy the magnificent Outer Banks beaches in winter through horseback riding, taking a stroll, and watching for wild horses. Check out our guides on the best horseback riding tours and wild horse tours in the Outer Banks.
- If the weather gets a little too chilly for your taste, you can tour the thrilling North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island.
- The Outer Banks is full of many stunning and historic lighthouses to explore in winter.
- Venture through the tallest living sand dune along the Atlantic Coast, hiking trails, and enjoy kite flying at Jockey’s Ridge State Park.
- During winter in downtown Manteo, you can enjoy Christmas tree lighting, a Christmas parade, caroling, holiday treats, Christmas decorations, and meet Santa.
- Every winter in the Outer Banks, the First Flight Society celebrates Wright Brothers Day to honor the first successful airplane flight in Kitty Hawk, NC.